Sunday, August 22, 2004

Use your hands not your head for once....eerr..all the time!


Wait, you don't have to be a diabetic to know this. For some, estimating how much to eat is just too cumbersome, it discourages the hell out of them even just to give it a try. Others feel that when you say that they have to watch what they eat, they shun from you thinking you’re a diet freak and you’re sending them the message not to eat this or not to eat that.

The truth is I was like them too. I felt like I was going to deprive myself of all the best food in this world even before knowing what it actually meant to watch what I eat. When I was told that the required daily carbohydrates intake was 30-40 gms. I just went ballistic about it. Just how big is 40 gms of carbohydrates? I can’t be carrying my measuring cups and spoons with me all the time?

My dietician, having ran the day care every week for xxx years understood our predicament and in fact had a ready answer for us.

We know that we should balance our daily food intake bearing in mind that we should have starch, protein, vegetables, calcium, fat and fruits. In fact, we can eat anything we want but it always has to be in…MODERATION. In Philippine setting, this is not impossible to do. Chopsuey with meat and Rice is already having your veggies, protein, calcium and carbohydrates in one. The fat is possibly in the chopsuey too. It's no different in having pinakbet for dinner.

The pictures above serve as your guide in determining how much you eat at your main meal.

How much fat? The added fat should not be more than the end your thumb (example: or about 1-2 teaspoons of oil). This includes fat added during cooking as well as the table.

How much calcium? For a serving, have a half cup to one cup of milk or yogurt, bowlful of vegetable like cabbage, or a thumbsize amount of solid food like cheese, nuts or tofu.

How many vegetables? Include a fruit with breakfast; include 2 or more vegetables at lunch and dinner and fruit if you’d like ; and choose a fruit or vegetable for a snack. Hold your two hands together and overfill them with vegetables and fruits and you will have a good daily amount.

How much protein? Size of the palm of your hand for your main meal. For women, this usually means 3-5 oz of cooked meat or other protein and for men, about 4-7 oz. Smaller portions at other meals.

How much starch? Have a starch food with every meal. Size of your fist for your main meal.

There you have it. I hope I did not bore you. Use your hands not your head (wink)

10 Comments:

Blogger ting-aling said...

Thanks Bayi. I feel happy that you're learning something from this blog. My dietician will be surprised to see this. She'll be laughing..I can just imagine her now. The way I feel now sharing what I've learned is probably the way she felt when she was educating my support group.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Dr. Emer said...

Go go, Ting Aling! Dazzle them with your wit! I hope your blog gets more audience! :)

5:41 PM  
Blogger loryces said...

hey this is cool! ok na reference to ah. pa-link ng post na to ha. :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Sure Loryces. I think I was reading your posts while your at mine)funny)

10:12 PM  
Blogger santi said...

Hi again Ting Aling,
This is really helpful. And to put it simply, the reason most of us get fat is that we do not mind or lose count of everything.

12:15 AM  
Blogger santi said...

I would just like to add, we here in Saudi do not need to be reminded about the use of the "hands" (joke).

12:26 AM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Naku Santi, pardon me, pero di ko yata nakuha joke mo.., anong ibig mong sabihin?

8:59 AM  
Blogger santi said...

Kung di mo nakuha ok lang, berde kasi eh. But you have to understand that most of us are away from our family especially from our wives. In order to ease our loneliness and boredom we find time to play the guitar, the piano and sometimes the "organ".

11:54 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Ay yay yay! 'shouldn't have asked. 'knew there was a catch to it.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

This was really informative. Thanks a lot!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home