Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Just my feet!!

Besides your heart, one of the most important parts of your body that is often neglected and least likely looked after is your feet. In one of my day care sessions surprisingly, half of the day was dedicated to taking care of your feet. I went huh, it’s just my feet! Say that again, please?

We should love our feet just as we love our heart. They are the ones responsible in taking us around. They are the ones responsible in leading us to things that our hearts value and our eyes appreciate.

Pamper your feet. Give it the best footwear you can get, the most comfy ones—never mind the fashion for when you get old there’d be no turning back to say , “Darn, my calluses are killing me.” Wash them often and apply lotion to your heels more than you apply lotion to your legs.

A more serious reason why you should take care of your feet is they are prone to gangrene. Gangrene is the death of an area of your body due to loss of blood supply. If you are diabetic, the more you should worry about this because of the poor circulation of your blood to your extremities.

One of the men in my support group played soccer one day. He did just fine during the game. After the game, he looked for his car keys and couldn’t find them. He decided to take off his socks outside of his car and there he found his toes bleeding and his socks soaked in blood and his car keys too. That Bad! My sister in law was gardening one day and stubbed her toe with a gardening tool. Pus was coming out of her wound in the ensuing days and in ten days was hospitalized for tetanus. She did not feel pain in her wound but her jaws gave it away. In her case, the infection got full of pus and did not drain well, blocking off the blood supply and the oxygen to that part of her body. She is diabetic too.

Treatment with antibiotics is usually the thing to do and removing the dead tissue does the trick but sometimes it could result to amputation. Ouch!

So the next time you stub your toes with even just a simple speck, disinfect it right away and keep that wound clean to prevent it from turning into gangrene. Your best weapon against gangrene is prevention.

The next time you say, they’re just my feet, think again.

2 Comments:

Blogger rolly said...

One night a month ago, after i finished bloghopping, I noticed that my middle toe was somewhat numb. What it felt was the kind that was a prelude to pins and needles. Because it was on my left foot, I thought I was about to have a heart attack so I immediately called my nephew who's a doctor. He said it might be because of diabetes. My nerves are somewhat giving up on me or something... He advised me to take Vitamin B complex and be careful with my foot. Because it susceptible to trauma. When I saw my endocrinologist, he did prescribe me the vitamin, too. It's gone now but I know i have to take care.

5:42 AM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

My first exposure to a diabetic was when my sister in law's Dad was about to die 15 some years ago. I have seen him suffer with the complications brought about by his diabetes. What struck me most was all the time I've met him, he was in a wheelchair, his legs were bloating and if he ever walked, he was dragging his feet. Water accumulated in his legs and feet that he couldn't wear any closed shoes at all. If I remember right, he had to go to the hospital to drain water from his body.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home