Friday, August 20, 2004

What can I serve you with, water or juice?

Juice is good but nothing beats water to quench your thirst and to flush those unwanted organisms in your system. A person in my support group found out he had diabetes just by drinking juice. He had difficulty urinating and had a terrible stomach pain one day. He thought it was nothing serious and started drinking cranberry juice to induce his urination. Little did he know that he was already nursing a serious gall bladder infection and by drinking juice he was aggravating his situation without him knowing.

By drinking cranberry juice, he was increasing his blood sugar thereby putting pressure to his pancreas to produce the necessary insulin to send the “cranberry energy” to the various organs of his body responsible in releasing the antibodies to fight his infection. Phew, that was a mouthful! But what I simply meant was these organs are all interrelated and the breakdown of one causes the rest to breakdown too. This is why we have the term “complications”.

I thought fruit juices are alright, you say. And I say you are right, except that they have to be taken in moderation. Fruit juice even if made purely out of fruits may contain lots of sugar. One glass of orange juice is equivalent to 3 to 5 pieces of medium orange. A medium orange is equivalent to 10 grams of carbohydrates. Here I go again.

It is always nice to substitute juice with water. Your daily water requirement is about 8-10 glasses a day. You will know that you’re drinking the required amount daily, if your urine is almost as clear as water. I said almost, not “as clear as water” because too much water can also lead to water intoxication. Next time you pee, make sure it isn’t as yellow as your orange juice.

It is also better to drink your water ice cold rather than warm. I did wonder about this, but I was told that cold requires more energy to bring it to the right temperature, thus burning more energy in the process. Juice or water?

3 Comments:

Blogger rolly said...

Water shall it be, then. Hmmm, great news. halos libre to.

11:45 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Tito Rolly, they used to say the best things in life are free and noong araw libre pa ang tubig. I just noticed that it isn't anymore. Water has become expensive na rin in the Philippines.

Bayi, I agree with you that water should be drank unboiled but filtered. I filter our drinking water direct from the tap myself and I am not worried that a few unwanted micro organisms will escape the filter and go into my body. These micro organisms become helpful in helping me develop my immunity.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Ardythe Santos said...

Are you a dietitian? Because I am... and I like drinking water too. A lot. I take in around 12 glasses a day. That does not include iced tea nor orange juice I like Tang) nor soups...Bad thing is that I do not practice my profession due to lack of opporunities. Visit my blog spot too...

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home